Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Obama Adds 3 Superdelegates Today

today's supers: iowa's bruce braley, baron hill of indiana and lois capps of california.
Congressman Braley said, "It's hard not to be excited about Barack Obama. On a cold January night, and again during Saturday’s First District Convention in Iowa, I saw countless people participating in the political process for the very first time because they were so inspired by Senator Obama's unique ability to transcend the politics of fear and division that have crippled this country for the past eight years.

"In this same spirit, I believe there's one candidate for President who has the ability to unite our country and bring about the change we need. That's why today I'm proud to endorse Barack Obama for President."

Senator Barack Obama said, "I'm grateful to have Congressman Braley's support. From raising the minimum wage to standing up for fair trade laws, Congressman Braley has been fighting to bring about real change for working Americans. That's what he did as an attorney in Iowa for more than two decades by helping ordinary Americans who'd lost their jobs and pensions. And that's what we'll do together when I'm President – by fixing our economy, strengthening our middle class, and putting the American dream within reach for all Americans."
Rep. Baron Hill of Indiana

"Some have advised me to be cautious, to wait and see which way the electoral winds may blow. I confess that I have listened to those voices and been tempted by their reasoning. But, the stakes are just too high. We cannot continue to pursue the same politics of personal destruction we have engaged in for a generation, some never-ending “groundhog day” endlessly playing out the cultural wars of forty years ago.

If we are going to develop real solutions for Hoosier families, for America’s families, we have to move past the partisan gridlock. I believe both Senator Clinton and Senator Obama want to do that and I believe both are formidable candidates. But, I also believe that only one of them truly can.

I am proud of Senator Obama’s call for change in Washington – change I have been advocating since I first sought public office. I am truly hopeful that his campaign and election will help unify our nation and ultimately change our politics. I am pleased that Senator Obama clearly and unequivocally denounced Reverend Wright’s remarks. Hoosiers don’t feel that way about our country, I don’t feel that way about our country and Senator Obama made it abundantly clear that he doesn’t feel that way either.

His comments regarding statements made by Reverend Wright showed me another aspect of Senator Obama’s leadership – a strength of character and commitment to our nation that transcends the personal. One of the tests of a true leader is his ability and willingness to come to a new conclusion based on new events. Senator Obama did just that yesterday.

I have had the opportunity to meet and talk with both Senators Clinton and Obama. Choosing between two worthy candidates was very difficult, but in the end, after much discussion with people in Southern Indiana, as well as mentors of mine such as Lee Hamilton, I have decided to support Senator Obama.

I believe Senator Obama has the capability to change the tone and tenor of politics in Washington. I believe that he can and will work with both parties and elevate the level of public discourse. Hoosiers are independent people who want to see civility and common-sense solutions implemented in Washington. Like us, Senator Obama strives to put the good of the country before the good of a particular political party. “

As someone who has always worked in a bipartisan manner to achieve results, I know that we need a president who can bring people together and build consensus to move this country in a new and exciting direction. And that person is Senator Barack Obama.”
And Rep. Lois Capps of California

Today Congresswoman Lois Capps (CA-23), Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus for Women's Issues and Chair of the Democratic Women's Working Group, released the following statement regarding her endorsement of Senator Barack Obama for President:

"Today, I am announcing my endorsement of Barack Obama for President.

"This wasn't an easy decision for me. Democrats were blessed this year with many talented and capable candidates, and I believe both Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama would make fine presidents. But Sen. Obama's proven judgment, his hopeful vision for America, and his unmatched ability to motivate millions of Americans eager for change made the choice for me.

"I have enormous respect for Sen. Clinton. She is smart, dedicated and a champion of those often underserved and forgotten. She has a remarkable record of achievement that inspires us all. And her election would fulfill a life long dream for so many of us who have been fighting for women's rights. She would make a great president.

"But for me, Barack Obama is the best choice.

"There are a number of reasons I could cite. He has promoted smart policies to address our nation's greatest challenges. He was right on Iraq when so many were wrong. He speaks with an eloquence that most public officials can only dream of and is inspiring millions of Americans to reconnect with politics or connect for the first time. And he can win in November.

"These are all true and good reasons, but I also believe Barack Obama is the better choice because of something larger and perhaps more important. Simply put, he has made a call to the better angels of our nature. He is challenging us to lift ourselves out of the ugliness that increasingly consumes Washington, where the heat of your argument counts for more than the light it should bring. He is asking us to stand together as Americans and transcend the traditional lines that have so often divided us by party affiliation, economic status, gender, or race. He is calling on us to rethink our approach to problem solving in the face of the enormous challenges facing our country, like Iraq, economic recession, global warming, record energy prices, and 47 million Americans without health insurance, to name just a few. I believe in his effort to put our country on a new path and want to help him make that happen.

"I came to Washington 10 years ago after winning the seat my husband Walter held. In office for a mere 10 months before he died, he had lost none of the idealism and faith in American democracy that propelled his life. Quite frankly, I don't believe he ever would have and I know that I have tried to keep that fire burning. But I'll admit it's hard, when so much of what's going on around you is less about meeting our country's challenges and more about demonizing your political opponents.

"Walter once said that "we are strongest as people when we are directed by that which unites us, rather than giving into the fears, suspicions, innuendos and paranoias that divide." For years I have been waiting for a President that speaks to that vision. I believe Barack Obama may very well be that rare leader."