Saturday, March 07, 2009

Green Shoots Tells Good Stories About the Economy

Planet Money's new blog offers some positive news about the economy:
My Planet Money indicator: 0% chance of losing my job at this moment. I'm busier now that before this whole thing started. I work in marketing at a retail real estate company in midtown Manhattan. Basically, they find tenants to rent retail spaces or find spaces for retail tenants.
As you can imagine, with all the retailers going out of business, spaces are rapidly becoming available. My job is to create materials to market these spaces. It's busier than ever now.
School enrollment is up:
You always bring up the bad news but here is a some good news brought on by the recession -- kind of.
15.86 is the percentage change in enrollment at our campus this past year. The enrollment in higher education runs countercyclical so, as has happened in past recessions, the lower GDP the higher our enrollment.