Friday, June 26, 2009

U.S. About to Leave Iraq

So many distractions, Michael Jackson, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Neda, Iranian elections, Kodachrome, Sanford...
Let me say a word about Sanford. People are teasing him--and republicans are dogging him--because he fell for an Argentine woman, whom I'm sure seemed very "exotic" to a South Carolinian man with conservative values. It says a lot about his--and maybe even conservative--psychology.
At the press conference, he acted like a man who had never been in mad love before, which made it raw and sad. I liked the way he apologized because it made him human. However, I don't think it repaired his career (and it didn't do anything for his family-he doesn't seem to love his wife) and I don't think he should be governor and it doesn't seem like he even wants to be governor. He's got some fixing to do.
Meanwhile, the U.S. is about to withdraw from major cities in Iraq and as everyone points out on Morning Joe, no one is talking about it. Frankly, I'm war weary. I never wanted us in Iraq or Afghanistan.