Sunday, February 05, 2012

Meet the Press Roundtable Feb. 5

I skipped the Newt part. He's too caustic for me.

Honestly, I don't understand this whole Catholic Church opposition to birth control. I realize the religion believes that life starts at conception, but I don't know very many Catholics who actually practice that belief. Birth control seems so basic in modern society. For me, religion is far more oppressive than government.

The rule applies to ALL employers and excludes churches. This battle is way over my head. Not sure if it really offensive to the Catholic Church or if it's just a way to attack Obama:
The new rule stems from the 2010 healthcare law, which requires employers to provide insurance coverage for contraceptives to patients who want them. Churches and other houses of worship are exempt, but Catholic hospitals and universities are not. Bishops call the rule an affront to religious freedom. The rule doesn't force doctors who object to contraception to prescribe it. LA Times