Monday, September 01, 2008

Abstinence is Laudable But

It's one thing to be pro-life. I have come to believe that choosing to have a baby, even in a rape situation, can be a good choice.

But, I would never contend that my beliefs were the right ones.
But Palin does and she goes one step further - she opposes birth control and sex education. That's wrong and out of touch with mainstream America. We should be aiming to prevent teen pregnancy. I don't think people realize how right of right she is. 
HuffPo: While Palin's positions have drawn the ire and concern of the pro-choice and progressive community, they are largely -- save abortions in the case of rape -- in line with John McCain's own stances. The Senator is against federal funding of birth control and sex education. He has called for the overturning of Roe v. Wade and received a zero rating from NARAL. Once, aboard the Straight Talk Express, McCain was asked if he supported the use of contraception or President Bush's abstinence-only education program to stem the spreading of AIDS.

"After a long pause, he said, 'I think I support the president's policy.' Does he believe that contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV? After another long pause, he replied, "You've stumped me."
Spicy Sarah Palin