Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Scott Brown Win Proves Something's Afoot in America

Well, I'm surprised out of my socks and in my disappointment, I'm reaching out for ice cream and cookies.
I thought for sure Martha Coakley would pull it out. I'm beginning to think that politics is way of keeping government from doing anything. I think Americans are government-shy. Americans don't believe that government can be efficiently run. They don't believe it's good for much besides national security. There is no appreciation of government.
I don't think Brown's election says much about the tea party. I don't think tea partiers elected Brown. They just hopped on the bandwagon to oppose Obama. They'll throw their parade and wear their tea bagger hats and wave their misspelled signs.
But they'll be disappointed with Brown, who's a moderate republican. He's for abortion rights and he's not nearly as wacked out as say, Michele Bachmann. Tea partiers will be disturbed the first time that Obama and Brown have a conversation or if Obama checks out Brown's truck.
After watching Brown's victory speech, I get it. I understand his appeal. I still haven't figured out the truck thing.
I think people did vote against healthcare because they were afraid, and they voted against higher taxes. But there is something more. They voted against power.
I'm not sure what the election says about Obama. The media acts like we just elected a new president. But life goes on. Obama is still president. Not sure what it says about how much he'll be able to get done. Not a lot will change since democrats didn't take advantage of their so-called super majority while they had it.
It doesn't look like the democrats are going to get it together any time soon either. Representative Anthony Weiner was on TV tonight blaming Obama. Sen. Evan Bayh is blaming liberals for hijacking the party. Nancy Pelosi says they're going to pass a healthcare bill fast and Henry Waxman says not so fast. There isn't any agreement.
Obama's got his work cut out for him. I wouldn't be the President of the U.S. if you paid me $1 billion. There are so many negative forces. It's near impossible to govern. As if Obama already didn't have enough to be concerned with. Obama will be on with George S. tomorrow, so I'm sure we'll get some encouraging words and a bigger picture view.