Monday, January 25, 2010

Obama Tells Diane Sawyer He'd Rather be a Good One-Term President


I have come to believe that politics is no way to solve people's problems and that there is too much opposition to government in America for it to be effective. I could change my mind next week. I'm really in a bad mood this week on the political front.
In a way, I'm hoping Obama is a one-term president, not because I dislike what he's doing. I support most of what he's doing. He's the best president in my life time. I just see a changing tide. I see bigger problems in this nation than politics. The revolt against government is another symptom of the Me, Me, Me-first, Survival of the Fittest society. The nation has lost its moral compass.
Obama's interview with Diane Sawyer:
"I'd rather be a really good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president," he told ABC's "World News" anchor Diane Sawyer in an exclusive interview today.

Obama sat down with Sawyer two days before he will deliver a State of the Union speech to a joint session of Congress, and he acknowledged the political setbacks of his first year in office. More at ABC News
On the polls:
"I went through this [in] the campaign. When your poll numbers drop, you are an idiot. When your poll numbers are high, you are a genius. If my poll numbers are low, then I am cool and cerebral, and cool and detached. If my poll numbers are high," Obama said with a laugh, "boy he's calm and reasoned all right."
The interview will be milked:
Watch Diane Sawyer's interview with President Obama on "World News" at 6:30 p.m. ET tonight, on "Nightline" at 11:35 p.m., and on "Good Morning America" at 7 a.m. Tuesday.
Here's a transcript Watch a preview here. Obama says he's rooting for the Saints in the Super Bowl and he talks about basketball with his daughter.
Update: Watch the video from Nightline here.