Monday, May 18, 2009

Biden's Commencement Speech at Wake Forest

I'll post video if it pops up. You can read the whole address here. Biden replaces the university's original commencement speaker, the much missed Tim Russert.

Commencement Address
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
........So I thought I should try to replicate something along the lines that you did when you arrived, and I had planned on driving my '67 Corvette up the middle of this area here. (Laughter.) But the Secret Service said they wouldn't let me do it. But notwithstanding the fact that my ride's been slightly different, I'm delighted to be here.

And I congratulate all those graduating in the class of 2009. What a great day for you all. You deserve a round of applause. (Applause.)

And being the father of three children, all of whom unfortunately listened to me when I said early on when they were in high school, any school you can get into, I'll help you get there. Well, undergraduate and graduate schools later, for three of them, you know understand why I was listed as the second poorest man in the Congress, literally. (Laughter.)

So I say to all you parents, today is payday. (Laughter.) You get a raise today. (Laughter.) Don't encourage them to go to graduate school, because it keeps up. (Laughter.) To all the parents, I know your sons and daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, husbands, wives -- I know that your student understands they would not be sitting here today but for your support.

And it's a real honor for me to be here today. But in a sense, it's a bittersweet honor, tempered by the sadness that I feel about a man who was originally scheduled to be your commencement speaker, a friend of mine, Tim Russert.