Sunday, September 07, 2008

Reminder: Electing Obama Was Never Going to Be Easy


I say this as much for myself as anyone who is having doubts.
Here is a great diary, a gentle reminder that getting a black man elected with the middle name of Hussein was never going to be easy.

Just Google Obama's full name, visit freerepublic.com or visit any number of wingnut sites and you'll see. Wingnut types won't say: I won't vote for a black man (though some will) but they will call Obama unpatriotic or a secret Muslim terrorist and all the rest of the garbage.

They send these hateful emails out to everyone and their brother and it's taken as truth. It's difficult for some of us to believe because we live in more culturally and ethnically diverse areas. That is why I hold a special place in my heart for Iowa, which is nearly all-white and launched Obama on his way.

I firmly believe it will be the youth that elect Obama-- or not. If they don't turn out, like they said they would in 2004 but didn't, then we'll get four more years of the same or maybe worse. McCain is hot on the path of war.

DK: First as an African American woman let me say thank you to all of Barack's white supporters, who supported him when most of the African American community didn't because we just didn't believe he had a snowball's chance in Hell of winning. Iowa, a state that is 97% white, sent Barack on his path to the White House and that is something that I will never forget. I hope that other black people remember that too.

I've found throughout my short life that few white people fully understand the extent to which all black people even, brilliant, successful and beautiful black people like the Obamas, are still subject to racism. This used to frustrate me, but then I thought about how separate black and white people often live.
Keep the hope and take action. You can find a canvassing or voter registration event to attend, wherever you live, at Barackobama.com. The more people who are registered the better the chances.