Thursday, January 15, 2009

Letters to Obama From Navajo Kids

Heard on NPR:
Dear Mr. Obama,

Hello, my name is Alisa Talor Yazzie. My maternal clan is Deer Springs, born for Bitter Water, and my paternal clan is Red Bottom clan, born for Towering House. I am full-blooded Navajo and I am 9 years old. At my school I voted for you, I wanted you to win. I was also a princess at my other school but I gave up my crown. There are a lot of things that are happening in my life. My uncle has kidney failure on both kidneys, but he'll be all right, won't he? I hope so. I just wanted to say hi, and I hope I will be able to see you once. When I get a new phone I will tell you my number.

Sincerely,

Alisa Yazzie

Read more letters here.
The letters are part of a creative writing project:
The project was the idea of Margaret Erhart, who teaches creative writing at Eagle's Nest Intermediate School in the high desert of northern Arizona. The school is in Tuba City, Ariz., on the Navajo Nation reservation.