Saturday, August 02, 2008

Oil Drilling Swap for Alternative Energy Cars


The so-called "gang of 10" (5 democrats, 5 republicans) came up with an $84 billion plan that swaps more oil drilling for converting most vehicles to alternative energy within 20 years. Interesting. It would give the oil companies an opportunity to change their game plan. 

I'm still learning about this, so I don't have much more to say right now. Here is a good story to read. More of a gesture on Obama's part

The left and the Hillaries have already flipped out, starting the flip flop argument against Obama and John McCain has welcomed Obama to the dark side, chalking up a win for himself. At least we've gotten off the race card issue. I'd much rather see them squabble about these kinds of things. But I realized today, other than a minority of people talking politics on the Internet, the general public is not paying much attention.

Here's what Obama says:
CNN: 

"I made a general point about the fact that we need to provide the American people some relief and that there has been constructive conversations between Republicans and Democrats in the Senate on this issue," he said during a press conference in Cape Canaveral.

"What I will not do, and this has always been my position, is to support a plan that suggests this drilling is the answer to our energy problems," Obama added.

"If we've got a plan on the table that I think meets the goals that America has to set and there are some things in there that I don't like, then obviously that's something that I would consider because that's the nature of how we govern in a democracy."

The senator from Illinois has spoken out against offshore drilling since Sen. John McCain in June proposed striking down the federal moratorium banning offshore oil and gas drilling to help alleviate high gas prices. "

The RNC is having troubles getting at Obama on oil because McCain shifted his position on drilling:
The Republican National Committee wants to portray Sen. Barack Obama as a flip flopper because he has shifted his position on off-shore oil drilling from being against it absolutely to now being willing to permit drilling so long as certain conditions are met, for instance, it comes as part of a comprehensive drilling plan.

There only seems to be one problem with the RNC tack. Sen. John McCain also changed his mind about off-shore drilling going from anti to pro.

But that doesn't stop the RNC from trying. What Obama has opposed is the idea that drilling offshore would lower gas prices--total bulldinky-- which according to the polls, is what many Americans believe. 

Here is what the RNC uses against Obama: 

Just A Few Days Ago, Obama Called Offshore Drilling A "Scheme." Obama: "Now the latest scheme is well, we're going to drill offshore. Now, I want to be absolutely clear to everybody about this. If I thought that I could provide you some immediate relief on gas prices by drilling off the shores of California and New Jersey, I understand how desperate folks are. I met a guy who couldn't go on a job search that lost his job, couldn't go on a job search because of the high price of gas. Just couldn't fill up his tank. I met a teacher in South Dakota who loved her job as a teacher on an Indian reservation, she had to quit because the drive was too far, it was taking up too much of her paycheck. I know how bad people are hurting. So If I thought that by drilling offshore, we could solve our problem, I'd do it." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At Campaign Event, Springfield, MO, 7/30/08)

Also, Obama will speak at the National Urban League today at 2 pm eastern time. It should be live streamed at cnn.com. I expect we will hear more on this.