Sunday, March 13, 2011

Obama's Remarks at Gridiron Dinner

Come on, I love the press. I even sat for an interview with Bill O’Reilly right before the Super Bowl. That was a change of pace. (Laughter.) I don't often get a chance to be in a room with an ego that's bigger than mine. (Laughter.)
The joke fest with the press and other politicians doesn't allow video coverage. The dinner honored journalist David Broder, who died last week. ABC has the full transcript here.
Searching for laughs — and finding them — President Barack Obama spared few targets Saturday night, from Democratic allies to Republican antagonists to the journalists who cover him.
At his first presidential appearance before the Gridiron Club, Obama picked up on the spirit of the evening, leveling jokes in every direction including his own.
He jabbed at potential Republican presidential rivals. He saluted Mississippi's portly Gov. Haley Barbour, saying he appreciated his support of First Lady Michelle Obama's anti-obesity campaign.
"Haley, when Michelle said you should run, she didn't mean for president."
He didn't spare himself, either. He noted that last time he was at the Gridiron, in 2006, he was a first-term senator from Illinois. Read the rest at AP
Obama makes it clear that he's aware of the criticisms:
All right, I hear the criticisms. I do. For example, I know that people think I'm not passionate enough. That I'm too cool. That I'm too detached. But as I was going through my daily routine -- sitting alone in my study -- (laughter) -- meditating, thinking about how to win the future -- (laughter) -- I pondered this critique, and calmly rejected it -- (laughter and applause) -- as thoroughly illogical. (Laughter.) And for all those who think I golf too much, let me be clear. I'm not spending time on the golf course -- I'm investing time on the golf course. (Laughter.)
On Pawlenty:
Tim Pawlenty is not here. But he’s hard on the campaign trail. To be honest, I think the American people are going to have some tough questions for Tim -- specifically, who are you? (Laughter.) And where did you come from? (Laughter.) Which is okay -- two years into my presidency and I'm still getting those questions. (Laughter.) But I have to say, as much as I admire Haley, Mitch, Tim, all the others, I'm a little biased towards my dear, dear friend, Jon Huntsman. (Laughter.)
Partial transcript:
All right, I hear the criticisms. I do. For example, I know that people think I'm not passionate enough. That I'm too cool. That I'm too detached. But as I was going through my daily routine -- sitting alone in my study -- (laughter) -- meditating, thinking about how to win the future -- (laughter) -- I pondered this critique, and calmly rejected it -- (laughter and applause) -- as thoroughly illogical. (Laughter.) And for all those who think I golf too much, let me be clear. I'm not spending time on the golf course -- I'm investing time on the golf course. (Laughter.)

Here’s another criticism I haven’t paid much attention to -- we heard a little bit of it tonight -- my reliance on the teleprompter. Republicans even tried to take it away from me. And I'm fine with that. As if I can't speak without a -- without a -- (laughter) -- a teleprompter. (Laughter.) I want to acknowledge a few people in the house tonight. Kathleen Sebelius did a great job, didn’t she? (Applause.)

She does a great job each and every day. In these tough times I've asked all my Cabinet members to cut even those things that they care deeply about. In Kathleen’s case, it was her once-promising political career. (Laughter.)

My understanding is the Speaker of the House, John Boehner -- is he here? He couldn't show up, huh? Okay. I mean, we've heard a few jokes about John, and I've made a few jokes over the years about John’s unusual coloring. (Laughter.) I used to think that it was a tan, but after seeing how often he tears up I've come to realize that's not a tan -- that's rust. (Laughter.) Think about it. (Laughter.) I want to congratulate my dear friend Chris Dodd on his new role as head of the MPAA. Though I'm wondering what life experience could possibly prepare Chris to deal with a town full of blowhards and inflated egos. (Laughter.)