Saturday, November 06, 2010

Still Love Obama? You're Not Alone


I loved this story because it's how I often feel.
The left and the right quickly left Obama's side and the media never forgets to remind us of that fact.
For me, all the lamenting over Keith Olbermann serves to prove that people are slaves to their ideologies. Olbermann clearly needed suspending but no one cares about journalistic standards. People want their beliefs mirrored back at them.
No one puts country first.
The left wanted so much and when Obama didn't do what they wanted in the time frame they expected, they moved on.
People want instant gratification, which explains why Americans expected Obama to turn around the greatest recession ever within 2 years.
Funny thing is-- he did! The recession is technically over. He saved the financial system at a high political cost, but it was the right thing to do. He has given us dose after dose of cod liver oil. Perhaps history will be truer.
There have been five straight quarters of GDP growth, jobs are growing, albeit slowly, and Obama's kept the nation on a steady course, despite a series of terror scares, pirate attacks...
The right became more irrational. Tales of Obama's Kenyan birth still reign on the Internet, where the truth is told, you know. Sometimes, I feel like I'm the last Obama supporter. But I am not alone. Curtis Sittenfeld:
But my own feelings haven't changed at all. Two years after voting for him, I'm just as exhilarated as Oprah Winfrey was in Grant Park on Nov. 4, 2008. You might say, to borrow the accusation frequently leveled at the 2008 media, that I've remained in the tank for Obama. The only problem is that currently, I seem to be in the tank by myself. Earlier this fall, even NPR hosts were making jokes that could have been borrowed from Rush Limbaugh — the teaser for a recent episode of "Wait Wait … Don't Tell Me!" imagined that one of the "inspiring" quotations in the new Oval Office carpet was, "At least your daughters still like you ... probably." I felt the unmistakable loneliness of being the last one left at a formerly hopping party.

Honestly, though, I'm surprised that so many people have turned against the president. Read the whole thing