Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Obama's Statement on Wilma Mankiller

Wilma Mankiller died on Tuesday.
I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Wilma Mankiller today. As the Cherokee Nation’s first female chief, she transformed the Nation-to-Nation relationship between the Cherokee Nation and the Federal Government, and served as an inspiration to women in Indian Country and across America. A recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, she was recognized for her vision and commitment to a brighter future for all Americans. Her legacy will continue to encourage and motivate all who carry on her work. Michelle and I offer our condolences to Wilma’s family, especially her husband Charlie and two daughters, Gina and Felicia, as well as the Cherokee Nation and all those who knew her and were touched by her good works.

Listen to Fresh Air's story about Wilma. She tells of a near death experience and what kept her here.

Here's that part of the transcript:
GROSS: You came very close to death in the car accident. And you write that during that accident you lost any fear of death.

Ms. MANKILLER: Yes, I did. And it's a special gift, I think. Having been so close to death - which, by the way, was the most wonderful feeling I've ever had in my life. It was more profound than childbirth, or better than, you know, the deepest love I've ever had with a man. It was an incredible, unbelievable feeling of unconditional love and very, very tempting to go on to death.

And what kept me I think from going on to death was thoughts of my children somehow or another came in that whole process. And then in a physical sense, there was a nurse straddling me in the ambulance who was beating on me and keeping my attention, and keeping me from slipping away.

But what was going on in my mind, really, was this sort of battle between whether I should just go on with this wonderful feeling or come back. And so it did have an impact on me. It made me not at all afraid of death. And also, I think helped me understand my own insignificance in the totality of things, as well.

GROSS: You weren't feeling any pain after the accident? You were just feeling this warmth and good feeling.

Ms. MANKILLER: No pain at all. No pain at all. I was so far away from physical, you know, my physical self I think at that time, that I wasnt even aware that the woman was, you know, was on top of me trying to keep me alive until someone actually told me later. And so it was just sort of fighting this little battle of whether I should go on with this enormous feeling of universal love.