Saturday, March 07, 2009

Obama Talks About Nation of Cowards

My only thought after I heard Eric Holder say we are a "nation of cowards" when it came to race was that he spoke frankly. But, whew, it sure did cause a lot of grumping from the republicans.

For them, they're like a rubber band stretched to the breaking point with all the change that's happening. Holder was a little too direct.
Obama chimes in.
“I think it’s fair to say that if I had been advising my attorney general, we would have used different language,” Mr. Obama said in a mild rebuke from America’s first black president to its first black attorney general.

In an interview with The New York Times on Friday, the president said that despite Mr. Holder’s choice of words, he had a point.

“We’re oftentimes uncomfortable with talking about race until there’s some sort of racial flare-up or conflict,” he said, adding, “We could probably be more constructive in facing up to sort of the painful legacy of slavery and Jim Crow and discrimination.”
.....
Mr. Obama was asked whether he agreed with Mr. Holder. He hesitated for five seconds before responding.

“I’m not somebody who believes that constantly talking about race somehow solves racial tensions,” Mr. Obama said. “I think what solves racial tensions is fixing the economy, putting people to work, making sure that people have health care, ensuring that every kid is learning out there. I think if we do that, then we’ll probably have more fruitful conversations.” NYT