Monday, December 15, 2008

The Best Goodbye Kiss: Shoes


The shoe hurler is being heralded a hero. The man obviously had pent-up anger. It strikes me that the shoe incident is an apt punctuation mark on the Bush presidency. It's not nice to throw shoes, especially at a country's leader, but after 8 years of an administration that didn't listen to anyone, I'd like to throw a shoe, figuratively. I guess I did when I volunteered and voted for Obama.
I don't think anyone will be throwing shoes at Obama. At the very minimum, he commands respect. In case you missed the video, it's here.
Times Online: The Iraqi journalist who hurled his shoes at President Bush during his farewell visit to Baghdad was hailed a hero in the Arab world today as thousands marched to demand his release.

Muntazer al-Zaidi tore off his shoes and flung them at Mr Bush as he stood beside Nouri al-Maliki, the Iraqi Prime Minister, during a press conference in Baghdad's Green Zone yesterday.

"This is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog. This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq," he shouted before being overpowered by security guards and bundled out of the room.