Thursday, October 23, 2008

McCain and Watergate Pal Liddy

McCain's pals: There's that Charles Keating guy and G. Gordon Liddy, who spent 20 years in prison. But McCain doesn't want to talk about them.
Chicago Trib: The extremist McCain has befriended is G. Gordon Liddy, who got a 20-year prison sentence for multiple felonies in the Watergate scandal—including burglary, conspiracy and illegal wiretapping. Finally forced to acknowledge the connection in an interview last week by David Letterman, McCain ducked and dodged before replying, "He went to prison, he paid his debt, as people do. I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy."
Pressed further, McCain said he was ready to furnish what he asked of Obama: "Everything about any relationship that I've had I will make completely open and give a complete accounting of." Sure he will. Right after Sarah Palin becomes a Rastafarian.

After the Letterman interview, I repeatedly e-mailed campaign aides Tucker Bounds, Jill Hazelbaker and Mark Salter with several questions about the association. Their response? The same response I would have gotten had I e-mailed a trio of wax dummies: silence.